New month, new challenges and as @eco_sophia officially turns one month old on Young & Curious, I hope you feel curious enough to join this challenge with us. If you have an Instagram account, you might have already seen it. If not, then you are not following the right accounts -go follow @eco_sophia.
And what is this challenge exactly? To be fantastic, don’t you dare litter with plastic -oh, that rhymes! Simply put, refuse single use plastics for one month and at the same time encourage your friends and social circle to step in.
And why exactly? By committing to cut down on your plastics for one month, you contribute to a total saving of 825 million kg of plastic waste each year.
Since this year we can’t refuse some single use items (such as face masks) and also microplastics and single use packages are more frequently used to avoid microbes, we need to be a part of the change now more than ever.
And how exactly? Here is our list of 7 simple things you can do to go plastic free this July:
- Avoid the 4s: plastic bottles, disposable coffee cups, plastic bags and straws.
- Place a tote bag in your regular everyday bag – I see you, just do this!- in order to avoid any last minute needs for plastic bags.
- Buy the bigger bottle or package. This way you avoid the microplastics and you actually save a lot of energy from production.
- Try the soap bar instead of your regular shampoo. Soaps are almost all the time packaged plastic free and produced with natural ingredients.
- Leave footprints not plastics and if somebody else has thrown away in the street or at a beach littlers just pick them up -and then sanitize your hands.
- Make “no” your favourite word. Most of the plastic we use in our everyday routines is hidden or has become a natural use. Be prepared to look deep into your everyday habits and say no. You can make your own natural body scrub or even your own soap bar.
- Spread the word. Use your instagram, your Facebook even your TikTok to convince others to join us!
No pressure but according to the foundation that organises the challenge 9 out of 10 people have made changes of habits after it. Eco_sophia is a BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD state of mind. So, this July, let’s just be it.